Saturday 16 May 2015

Craving community

So this is where I admit to the limits of my assimilation. As I've mentioned previously I don't disclose my transsexual past to my neighbours, my workmates, my friends, or anyone in my town or even in this whole state, with the exception of my husband, and my GP, who is in Perth, a full day's drive from where I live.

Much as I hate to admit it, that can be a problem. I often have trans thoughts and ideas rattling around my head, and no sensible way to get them out. I can have a go at talking with my hubby, but he's a much more straightforward person than I am, so generally I'll not really get much past "that's nice, dear".

It used to be easier. When I was younger I lived in Sydney. When I wanted to connect with other trans people I'd ring one of the few trans friends I had that had made it through the vetting process (young like me, assimilationist, not clingy), and organise stuff. It could be a night on the town, or just lunch, or whatever. It worked well. I'd work some stuff out of my system, so would they, and we'd go home happy. A really good arrangement.

I also read. Voraciously. If you've written a book on teh trans, I've probably read it. Like all of us, I'm trying to figure myself out, and reading other people's words helps. I don't just confine myself to trans authors though (truth be told the retelling of the standard narrative often makes my skin crawl), I also like to read more critical works, by partners of trans people, both supportive and horrified, by radical feminists, by anyone.

So now that I'm living in the sticks, community is a little harder to come by. The Internet is an obvious place to find people to bounce stuff off, but because things are so open on the net there's a very real risk of losing cis privilege in real life.

You may not have come across the term cis privilege before. All dominant groups have privilege, with white males being the obvious example. Cis (non-trans) people also have privilege, being able to go about their lives without their gender ever coming into question.

It's reasonable to ask then how I, as a transsexual woman, have cis privilege. It's simple. Although I'm transsexual, I'm cisgendered. I don't display any particular gender variance. I fit most of the established norms of accepted femininity pretty well, and don't scare the horses. So as long as I never disclose, I get to enjoy all the yummy and delicious benefits of cis privilege.

That's conditional, of course. If people find out I'm transsexual, I'm fucked. So hence the quandary with the whole seeking community on the net thing. People on the net can be really nasty. Or just really clueless. So you've got to take precautions. It's fairly straightforward to do, and I'm sure plenty of people employ many of the same techniques as I do to maintain anonymity. It just involves a level of compartmentalisation. Keeping a separate account for teh trans stuff, using a pseudonym, never looking at any trans websites on the work computer or even via the work network, etc. Sometimes I've got to hold back on sharing details that could identify me in real life, but that's a relatively small price to pay.

It doesn't mean you can't get close to people. There are a good dozen people around the world that I've met on forums (my husband Betty) who I've met in real life while travelling. Like the transsexual friends I have back in Sydney, I trust them. It works well for me.

1 comment:

  1. I found your site by accessing another trans-friendly site. I thought I was decently well-read on this topic, but blush as I realize what an absolute novice I am in this realm. For instance, I recently learned about the difference between transgender and transsexual. For cis folk, the terms are synonymous. In the trans world, they are universes apart, as in one universe is real, and the other is the dark side of the real universe. I've been using the TG word in my blog for 5 years, having no idea how offensive that can be to TS persons. I have the feeling that most TS readers overlook my ignorant faux pas, understanding that is was made out of ignorance; however, I know that I did offend one reader and for months, I had no idea why. Now I know...and I'm at a loss as to how, or whether I should attempt to correct that on my blog. The blog is directed at parents of TS people so I worry that divulging this will frighten them. When I first found out about my daughter, had I known there was this dark faction seeking to gain from the TS community, it would have frightened me. I just wanted to help my daughter feel at peace with herself so she could be happy. I'm curious as to your thoughts on this.

    Regarding your comments on needing community-I understand as much as I'm able to. When I crossed paths with moms of other TS kids, I was grateful to share the thoughts that rattled around in my head too.

    And yes, I've come to see Benjamin was equal parts helper and hinder-er. While he created a path through the medical maze for TS to access surgical intervention, his method also served to make any other path to surgery inaccessible. A curse and a cure all rolled into one. Luckily for our daughter, we crossed paths with medical professionals who knew the WPATH standards were "guidelines" but also knew that if their disregarding the guidelines became big news, they would pay a professional price for not adhering. Team DJ all stuck together knowing how important her timely surgery was to her survival. If only all TS people had the same opportunities. I'll keep reading-so glad I found this. PJ, Author of Parenting the Transgender Teen.

    ReplyDelete